   Re: [xml-dev] XML-dev futures discussion

> A. Move the list, yes or no?  I think reasonable opinions are
>
> A.1 I'm against moving it anywhere

Moving the list will be very disruptive, so it should only be done if
there's a *very* good reason and no plausible alternatives.

With the exception of the broken (re-)subscription page, I think the
most likely explanation for the problems people have been having are
connectivity issues at the recipents end leading to bounces. If that's
true, then moving the list probably won't make the problems go away. If
this is the main motivation for wanting to move, then I'd recommend
that people first check that they've got adequate DNS secondaries and
backup MX records.

Improved archives would be nice, but that's not dependent on moving the
list. There are already third-party archives of xml-dev with different
degrees of reliability, completeness and selections of features. If we
need another one there's nothing to prevent it.

> These are listed in the chronological order I became aware of them.
>
> B.1 Move xml-dev to ibiblio.org
> B.3 Move xml-dev to the W3C

Even if the number of posts to this list isn't particularly huge, there
are a lot of subscribers. That means any alternative has to have a lot
of bandwidth and a fair amount of horsepower. Both (1) and (3) fit the
bill.

Cheers,

Miles