   Re: [xml-dev] XML-dev futures discussion

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Tim Bray wrote:

> A. Move the list, yes or no?  I think reasonable opinions are

3 I don't care, I'll go with the majority

> B. If moving the list, where?
>
> These are listed in the chronological order I became aware of them.
>
> B.2 Move xml-dev to Betty Harvey's ISP

Tim is right I offered because I have the system and physical resources
not the personnel resources to maintain the list.  I know what it is
like to maintain a listserve so my offer had a caveat -- volunteers to
help manage the listserve.

> B.3 Move xml-dev to the W3C

No experience - good or bad!

> B.4 Move xml-dev to DISA

I was envolved slightly with the move of the XML/EDI group to DISA
and I found them very good to work with.  However, I too was
silently deleted from the listserve -- I just thought the list
was quiet.  This is a software problem and as soon as it was
brought to their attention they corrected the problem.

PERSONAL OBSERVATION:  It seems to me that the list ran much
    smoothly when Peter and Henry were moderating the list.
    I believe that having a point person to interact with
    whichever system the list moves too and the governing
    organization would be worthwhile.

    It is a big commitment for a member or a group of of
    members to do this.

    My thinking is the main reason that things have gone awry
    with OASIS is there is not a direct connection between
    the list membership and OASIS.  Communications is
    essential.  This will be true wherever the list
    resides.

Betty

Betty Harvey                         | Phone: 410-787-9200 FAX: 9830
Electronic Commerce Connection, Inc. |
harvey@eccnet.com                    | Washington,DC SGML/XML Users Grp