   re: [xml-dev] XML-dev futures discussion

Tim Bray writes:

 > A.2 Yes, please move it

I have no strong feelings for or against OASIS, but I don't think that
xml-dev and OASIS have been an ideal match: neither gains enough
benefit from the other.  I suggest that we give them the thanks they
deserve for supporting the list over the last while, have a friendly
(virtual) handshake, and then move on.

 > B.3 Move xml-dev to the W3C

I have some problems with the W3C -- like most standards
organizations, I think that they're half-drowned in their own process
-- but that's not to the point here, since we're not talking about
giving them control of a specification.

In fact, I've always been impressed with the just-get-it-done hacker
mentality of the W3C's technical people.  There are W3C staffers and
volunteers who seem to enjoy the challenge of making technical things
like mailing lists work, even if they have to build everything
themselves out of Perl code and bubblegum -- in other words, they're
just like us (well, to be accurate, they *are* some of us).

I also like the idea that the xml-dev archives could become part of
future Web experiments for search/retrieval, metadata, and so on.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, david@megginson.com, http://www.megginson.com/