   Re: [xml-dev] XML-dev futures discussion

Bill Kearney wrote,
> Blaming the users doesn't make them any more likely to play nicely.
> You're as likely correct that it is indeed their own configuration
> woes.  That is, not the list's fault.  However, you can't offer this
> excuse unless it can be backed up with a visible list of what bounced
> and what the list software did about it. List software like Yahoo
> shows each user their own bounce history.

Agreed ... something like this would be very helpful.

It's probably also true that OASIS' listserv is a little too aggressive
in unsubscribing bouncers. Some mechanism for keeping track of bounces
would help diagnosing that.

> Perhaps the first thing the OASIS people could do would be to redirect
> admin bounce messages to a public list.  This way people could at
> least see for themselves when it's their OWN fault.

Not sure about this tho' ... something like Yahoo's bounce history page
would be vastly preferable to cluttering up the list with admin
messages.

> There's also the chance that mail delivery out of the OASIS list
> server is hosed.

That's possible ... but it does seem as tho' the problems affect some
people disproportionately. It'd be a bit odd (tho' I guess not
impossible) for an outbound issue to discriminate against particular
people.

> Bounce messages will help other people analyze what's going on so a
> solution can be found.

Yup.

<snip/>
> So it seems like the best course of action is to really find out
> /why/ the OASIS list has been dropping folks and get that FIXED
> first.  If it can't be fixed, after honest efforts are applied, then
> moving is the only sound course of action.

Spot on ...

Cheers,

Miles