   Re: [xml-dev] Excel XML

Joshua Allen wrote:

>>something revolving around RDDL with HTTP namespaces pointing to
>>schema(s).microsoft.com. I'm quite disappointed this isn't the case.
>
> Actually, it depends on the product.  The religion of using http: URIs
> to identify namespaces has not spread throughout all of MSFT yet, but
> this seems to be the trend.

And also, some of those namespaces, e.g. in Excel and VML, have been
around for years now so there's good motivation for not changing them.
Mind you, since they're not only URNs (questionable) but malformed
illegal URNs there's also a motivation for changing them, but you can
see a case for conservatism here.  The new namespaces seem to be mostly
http://schemas.microsoft.com stuff which makes all sorts of sense to me.
--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)