   Re: [xml-dev] Access XML

On Friday 21 March 2003 18:44, Jeff Lowery wrote:

[example.com]

> I was being just a tad peevish.   I wouldn't say, though, that control has
> been devolved to the public;  the Network Working Group has defined the
> context under which those domains can be used. I'm allowed to use such
> domains, but only under the conditions which were granted by the NWG.
>
> Their authority is largely hollow, however.  True, I can't set up a domain
> with one of the 4 reserved domain names, but nobody can prevent me from
> using such names as basis for namespace identifiers outside the prescribed
> context.  I may get tarred, feathered, and rode out of xml-dev on a rail,
> but that was bound to happen anyway for abuse of haiku threads.

Yep, but that's the nature of any naming system; nothing can stop you from
using the names inappropriately.

You could pass laws forbidding namespace abuse, but they would just act as a
deterrent and a way of getting revenge once the damage is already done.

> Jeff

ABS

--
A city is like a large, complex, rabbit