   RE: [xml-dev] XPointer goes to REC

> This is so easily fixed it is mind numbingly simple - just
> set a Copyright Policy stating that no documents are publicly
> referable as anything other than conversational references
> until they are awarded the Status of Standard. Which makes it
> a violation if US and Global Copyright to refer to this
> material in any way outside of what it was intended for.

I don't know much about US law, but in UK law, and to the best of my
knowledge in international law, copyright is about the right to make
copies. No permission is needed to reference something.

(The same is also true of trademarks, incidentally. The fact that IBM is
(or may be) a trade mark doesn't stop me talking about IBM, or require
me to acknowledge that IBM is a trade mark. All it does is to prevent me
passing myself off as IBM).

Michael Kay