   Re: [xml-dev] Word XML

> [Please trim all replies to this overlong message. Also, please remember
> these are the product of beta code and very definitely subject to
> change, though happily it's a public beta.]
> The raw XML of this document doesn't give much of a feel for the user
> interface of Word 2003 or for its custom XML capabilities, but it does
> give a clear picture of the information Word 2003 provides, complete
> with a small bit of custom vocabulary usage.

> If I save the document with all the WordML, I get a much more verbose
> version, which follows.  Note in particular the ns0:document and
> ns0:hilite elements.
> <?mso-application progid="Word.Document"?>

This is just atrocious.  For a comparison, see the OpenOffice.org format,
which, while still a bit quirky, is perfectly readable, and available fodder
for simple tools:

Also worth noting that on the OO XML format TC, we're hoping to stanrdardize a
format that is good markup, and also suits the needs of WP software developers.

Universal Business Language (UBL) - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/l
EXSLT by example - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-exslt.html
The worry about program wizards - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=7238
Use rdf:about and rdf:ID effectively in RDF/XML - http://www-106.ibm.com/develo