   Re: [xml-dev] GXA specifications process

More on the subject of reliable messaging:

BEA recently released 3 "WS-X" specifications, one of which
(WS-Acknowledgement) addresses reliable messaging:

   WS-Acknowledgement
   WS-Callback
   WS-MessageData

More details:

* WS-Acknowledgement: Designed to support reliable message exchange
between services by providing for at-least-once and exactly-once SOAP
message transfer guarantees;

* WS-Callback: Used to dynamically specify where to send asynchronous

* WS-MessageData: Enables the re-use of meta-data about a message across
SOAP extensions;

Now there are 3 reliable messaging specifications "out there":

(1)WS-Reliability (SUN and others, being developed under OASIS 	WSRM TC)
(2)WS-ReliableMessaging (part of GXA)
(2)WS-Acknowledgement (BEA)

From (at least) a very high-level standpoint, one may observe that all 3
of these specifications are in fact very similar.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

> Martin,
>
> I am speaking from outside the authorship of the GXA specs.
>
> One GXA specification - WS-Security - is currently being developed under
> OASIS. Two others - DIME and WS-Attachments - are within IETF. The rest
> are "property of" their respective authors.  My hope is that more GXA
> specs will move into open consortiums (hopefully OASIS) in the near
> future, and pass through the open standards process as quickly as
> possible as well.  They are (in my opinion) wonderful specifications,
> and I firmly believe that pushing them all through an open standards
> process will be a *critical factor* for the future success of GXA.
>
> So if you need a reliable messaging policy, I believe your best bet
> right now is to track the WS-Reliability spec and the OASIS Web Services
> Reliable Messaging (WSRM) TC [2], as it is already within an open
> standards process (I am a member of this TC). I don't have exact
> timeframes yet, but will probably have a better idea in the near future.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Joe Chiusano
> Booz | Allen | Hamilton
>
> [1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wss
> [2] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsrm
>
> martin@hack.org wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know what the status or process of the GXA specifications are?
> > They're officially published by Microsoft et al, and generally refered to
> > as 'standards', but is there anything like a review/endorsement process in
> > operation?
> >
> > The WS-ReliableMessaging specification index page [1] says:
> > 'Status
> > WS-ReliableMessaging was published as a public specification on 13 March
> > 2003. This is the first joint BEA/IBM/Microsoft/TIBCO Software publication
> > of the specification.'
> >
> > What does that mean, exactly: 'public specification'?
> >
> > I've come across some issues regarding the WS-ReliableMessaging
> > specification that I feel compelled to report to the powers that be.
> > However, apart from the names and companies in the author list I can't
> > figure out who or what those powers may be. The spec hasn't, afaik, been
> > submitted to any standards organisation and with OASIS already
> > having a Reliable Messaging TC in place it seems somehow unlikely that it
> > ever will.
> >
> > The spec itself [2] says:
> > 'Status
> > WS-ReliableMessaging and related specifications are provided for use as-is
> > and for review and evaluation only. BEA, IBM, Microsoft, and TIBCO
> > Software will solicit your contributions and suggestions in the near
> > future. BEA, IBM, Microsoft, and TIBCO Software make no warrantees or
> > representations regarding the specification in any manner whatsoever.'
> >
> > So they'll accept comments 'in the near future'?
> >
> > Meanwhile, I'm in a position where I _need_ a reliable messaging policy
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano