   Re: [xml-dev] XML into SQL and out again

<Quote>
whether to use attribute or element based tagging here..
</Quote>

IMHO, this should not be an "or" type of choice - elements should be
used to represent data, attributes to qualify (modify) metadata. In
terms of english, one may think (in a very basic sense) of attributes as
adjectives, and elements as nouns.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Neile Bermudes wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Firstly, thank you very much for your informative reply- very much
> appreciated. I think the SQL/XML path looks like the most suited.
>
> The database I'll be using is MS SQL Server 2000. The database will exchange
> information with a Quark document, very infrequently though. Firstly I will
> need to export all info in the original quark file to XML, and put this in a
> SQL database. I will only need to do the reverse once a year (i.e. generate
> XML from the SQL data and out it back into Quark). So it isn't a regular
> thing. The xml/sql code example you gave in your e-mail looks just right.
>
> I guess my main concern at the moment is whether to use attribute or element
> based tagging here...i still don't know what the exact implications of my
> choice will be...what I need is a bunch of scenarios/examples to look at so
> I can get a good idea of different ways I can do this...
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Neile

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano