   RE: [xml-dev] If XML is too hard for a programmer, perhaps he'd b e

joshuaa@microsoft.com (Joshua Allen) writes:
>The two are not interchangeable, I am sure you know.  Markup inside a
>CDATA section is completely different from markup inline with the
>document.

Yes, I know.

>What exactly is stupid about that?

That's there no option for turning off the CDATA escaping.

> Presumably the application that
>generates and consumes that data expects a *text* node, and not
>xsd:any. Are you saying that the export was dumb to demand text, or
>that the application really wanted xsd:any and simply screwed up?

That the application is dumb to expect exclusively text, with no
provision for markup.

>Even more importantly, do you *really* want your <b></b> tags to be
>hanging out with no namespace?  What will you do when your "markup"
>contains something like "<p><br>"?

Well, actually, that's precisely how we write the stories on
xmlhack.com, and there's this little bit of code that checks your markup
for well-formedness when you enter it.  This isn't rocket science.

>I get confused when I see people who *insist* on treating HTML as if it
>is "markup" rather than text, and then get predictably upset in the
>myriad instances where this causes unnecessary pain.

It's both markup and text.  I get confused when I see people who can't
cope with such situations and insist that everything must be one or the
other.

>Yeah, exactly -- use CDATA (or escaped XML) when you want a text node.
>That is actually a whole lot of cases.

If had control of the cases, I'd be happy.  Since I don't, I get to
write code.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!