   Re: [xml-dev] Re: If XML is too hard for a programmer, perhaps he 'd be

> From: "Uche Ogbuji" <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
>
> > Bill de hÃ"ra Wrote:
>
> >> If you use tools that manipulate in the "value space", then obtain the
> >> lexical representation that risk goes away.
>
> > Bingo.  Thus my 'impedance mismatch" and "error prone" comments. ... So my
> > incredulous reaction was not because I haven't heard this claim of "regex
> > first", but because it seems amazing to me that this would come from Tim.
>
> What if Tim's data is just strings: where the value space can* be the lexical space?

Of course you can construct all sorts of corner cases in which the value space
and the lexical space overlap significantly, but this is not the usual case by
any stretch in my experience, so it would seem to be that Tim's championing of
regexen should have been surrounded by bright flashing lights pointing out the
limitatons of the technique.  There were no such distinctions made in the
article, thus my complaint.

Use internal references in XML vocabularies - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerw
orks/xml/library/x-tipvocab.html
Universal Business Language (UBL) - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/l