   Re: [xml-dev] Full text search with XML input in Oracle?

Jack,

Oracle can definitely do this.

In Oracle8i, release 8.1.7, you can do it with syntax that looks like:

   WHERE CONTAINS( your_column_name_with_xml_in_it,
                   'hello WITHIN title')
     OR  CONTAINS( your_column_name_with_xml_in_it,
                   'hello WITHIN article')

or if you meant to find "hello" within the <title> element only
when it is also nested within an <article> element, you would do:

   WHERE CONTAINS( your_column_name_with_xml_in_it,
                   'hello WITHIN title WITHIN article')

My "Building Oracle XML Applications" book from O'Reilly has
a chapter on using XML searching in Oracle8i 8.1.7.

Oracle9i Release 2 has significantly enhanced our XML features
in the database, and along with them, text searching functionality
for XML has been dramatically improved as well.

Here's a pointer to our online documentation for the
Oracle9i Release 2 database XML features (our latest production
release).

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/nav/docindex.htm#index-XML

(watch for URL truncation by your email program!) :-)

Steve Muench - Developer, Product Mgr, Java/XML Evangelist, Author
Simplify J2EE Development with the Oracle BC4J Framework
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html
Dive into BC4J at http://radio.weblogs.com/0118231/
Try the BC4J Toy Store Demo at http://www.geocities.com/smuench/bc4jtoystore
Building Oracle XML Apps, http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp