   Re: [xml-dev] XML's Scylla and Charybdis - parse and regexp

On Tue,  1 Apr 2003 12:21:51 -0500, Simon St.Laurent
<simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

> There seems to have been a movement early on, especially with the DOM,
> to chop out "editor-only" functionality.  I'm not sure that was such a
> brilliant move in retrospect.

Not brilliant, but pragmatic.  Who needed that functionality?  If they
existed, they weren't sending people to the DOM WG to do the work!  The
editor vendors who were sending people to do the work didn't necessarily
want every DOM implementation to implement their core editing engines :-)
Partly because they knew that this ain't easy to do, and putting it in the
standard would doom it to a lack of conformant implementations (even before
a certain major vendor lost interest).