   Re: [xml-dev] XML's Scylla and Charybdis - parse and regexp

> On Tue,  1 Apr 2003 12:21:51 -0500, Simon St.Laurent
> <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:
>

> > There seems to have been a movement early on, especially with the DOM,
> > to chop out "editor-only" functionality.  I'm not sure that was such a
> > brilliant move in retrospect.
>
> Not brilliant, but pragmatic.  Who needed that functionality?  If they
> existed, they weren't sending people to the DOM WG to do the work!  The
> editor vendors who were sending people to do the work didn't necessarily
> want every DOM implementation to implement their core editing engines :-)
> Partly because they knew that this ain't easy to do, and putting it in the
> standard would doom it to a lack of conformant implementations (even before
> a certain major vendor lost interest).

Hmm.  So as you recall there was little controversy behing the decisions to
sacrifice lexical fidelity?  Well, you'd know better, and I don't have the
time to check, but I thought I did distinctly remember a lot of rumblings
about such matters as entiiies and CDATA sections, which were in the end only
partially addressed by the rather emasculated corresponding DOM Level 1 node
classes.

And if lexical issues we put aside by rote, then how on earth did we end up
with the default attribute mess (isSpecified and all that) in Level 1, and the
Level 2 mess by which namespace declarations are maintained as normal
attributes in duplication of the namespace node attributes?  I'm not abusing
anyone for these decisions, really, but I always assumed that they were made
out of respect for lexical processing needs, which seems to contradict what
you say above.

Use internal references in XML vocabularies - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerw
orks/xml/library/x-tipvocab.html
Universal Business Language (UBL) - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/l