   Re: [xml-dev] XML's Scylla and Charybdis - parse and regexp

Simon St.Laurent wrote,
> There seems to have been a movement early on, especially with the
> DOM, to chop out "editor-only" functionality.  I'm not sure that was
> such a brilliant move in retrospect.

I think we're back in floor-wax/dessert-topping territory. One of the
early gripes with the DOM was browser/editor-specific functionality
imposing significant performance overheads (in terms of the maintenance
of book-keeping data) on server-side applications of the DOM. From my
POV the result was much too browser/editor-centric.

I don't really remember much of these discussions revolving around the
preservation or otherwise of lexical information, and where they did,
eg. CDATA sections, entity boundaries and comments, it stayed in ...
which IIRC is why they're in the Infoset and SAX2.

Cheers,

Miles