   Re: [xml-dev] E4X

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 20:18:08 -0500, Simon St.Laurent
<simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

> And I'm finding myself left pretty cold about this generally.  Maybe
> there's something more to it, but this looks pretty much like XPath Lite
> with ECMAScript object syntax.  Maybe that's what people want.

It's pretty much what *I* want ... the basic idea from data binding that
the object model looks like the structure of the data with fields that
correspond to element names, along with the basic ideas of XPath to locate
data that don't have an obvious location in the object model.  No clumsy
(and often impractical) requirement to start with a schema, no ugly tree
navigation that gives most people the heebie-jeebies.  And of course no
need to deal with the raw syntax, or event-driven programming, that makes
DOM alternatives even more scary to non-geeks.

I'd say that they nailed the 80:20 point, at least from what I can tell
without actually having used it.  Off to download Weblogic Workshop :-)