   RE: [xml-dev] including JPEG in SVG

> Jeff,

> You haven't told the SVG renderer where to render the image.

I simplified my example to be as bare bones as possible.  The reference
source I used was:

http://www.mikomi.org/~jmac/svg/horizontal.svg

Which admittedly doesn't appear to work right unless it's embedded (above
shows no image in Opera, a cutoff image in IE; both with Adobe SVG 3.0
plugin):

http://www.mikomi.org/~jmac/svg/comic.html

> Try adding x and y attributes to the <image> element with appropriate
values.

Which I did have originally, along with absolute paths.

> Also, in your namespace declaration for the XLink namespace you have three
successive
> forward slash characters, rather than two.

And that was it:
a) failed silently with the Adobe plugin;
b) DisplayMagick displayed the images (perhaps guessing based on the xlink
prefix);
c) Batik Squiggle 1.5b noted that "the attribute xlink:href of the element
<image> is required", which is kind of a curious error since 1) xlink is a
prefix, not a namespace; 2) the namespace declaration itself was invalid,
yet didn't cause an error (in any of the programs)

Now, if we only has a short-identifier registry for namespaces that would
get rid of these funky declarations altogether... not that I want to start
*that* thread again.  I suppose if I learned to type it might help, also.