   Re: [xml-dev] including JPEG in SVG

In a message dated 09/04/2003 18:31:20 GMT Daylight Time, Jeff.Lowery@creo.com writes:

I simplified my example to be as bare bones as possible.  The reference
source I used was:

http://www.mikomi.org/~jmac/svg/horizontal.svg

Which admittedly doesn't appear to work right unless it's embedded (above
shows no image in Opera, a cutoff image in IE; both with Adobe SVG 3.0
plugin):

It displays ok for me in Opera 6.

At the risk of asking the obvious, you do realise that it is necessary to manually copy NPSVG3.dll to the Plugins directory? ASV3 install only automatically recognises IE and Netscape 4.x. It won't automatically find Opera or Mozilla.

c) Batik Squiggle 1.5b noted that "the attribute xlink:href of the element
<image> is required", which is kind of a curious error since 1) xlink is a
prefix, not a namespace; 2) the namespace declaration itself was invalid,
yet didn't cause an error (in any of the programs)

The Batik error message makes loose sort of sense. Your namespace URI didn't match the XLink one so Batik assumes (rather loosely, I admit) that there is no xlink:href attribute associated with the necessary namespace URI.

The SVG viewers' rather "silent" response to errors makes practical sense in a production environment since the last thing many people will want is intrusive error messages overwriting/concealing an image. But it doesn't help the debugging process, does it? :)

Andrew Watt