len

From: W. E. Perry [mailto:wperry@fiduciary.com]

At the crucial moment of his argument in a piece called 'On Semantics
and Markup'
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/04/09/SemanticMarkup Tim
Bray strikes a pose of Socratic agnosis with:  "To oversimplify, XML is
winning and ASN.1 is losing. There are a variety of reasons for this,
but one of them is that it seems to be more important to know what
something is called than what data type it is. This result is not
obvious from first principles, and has to count as something of a
surprise in the big picture."