   Re: [xml-dev] Low-end Office 11 won't do user schemas, it seems

In a message dated 13/04/2003 16:11:23 GMT Daylight Time, uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com writes:

Most of us here have seen InfoPath in some guise, but I would wager few have
seen it in any supposed role s next-generation business forms interface.

Uche,

Microsoft are selling InfoPath as inter alia a business forms interface.

The Microsoft marketing blurb is pretty specific.

See, for example, http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/infopath/default.asp
where the headline message states, "InfoPath 2003 (formerly code-named "XDocs"), a new program in the Microsoft Office System, helps teams and organizations gather and share information in an organization by creating rich, dynamic Extensible Markup Language (XML)–based forms. Business users can more easily collect, access, and reuse information with InfoPath so that they can make better informed decisions.".

Looking beyond the marketing blurb it seems pretty clear to me that Microsoft is positioning InfoPath as an XML-based forms product for collecting enterprise/business data. That would fit with the seeming non-availability of InfoPath in the down market versions of Office.

As I said in a separate post the gluing of InfoPath data into other MS back-end products will, I suspect, be where the perceived added business value will be.

How well InfoPath 1.0 will deliver on those aspirations is a separate question.

Andrew Watt