   Namespace best practice

Hi folks,

I've recently published the draft specification for an RSS2.0 module
called Easy News Topic (ENT).  For those not familiar with it, RSS2.0
[1] is an XML-based format which supports modular extension using
namespaces.

The URL for the ENT spec is:

	http://www.purl.org/NET/ENT/1.0/

One of my concerns is about the way in which I've used namespaces w.r.t.
attributes.  I declare the <ent> namespace
xmlns:ent="http://www.purl.org/NET/ENT/1.0/"; and then have tags like:

<ent:cloud ent:href="some uri"/>		instead of
<ent:cloud href=""/> &
<ent:topic ent:id="blah">blah blah</>	instead of	<ent:topic
id="blah">blah blah</>

I've had a couple of questions about this choice and want to be sure I
have made the right decision before the spec moves out of draft.  I did
a Google search for XML namespace best practice and whilst it brought up
some interesting points I didn't find anything covering the use of
namespaces w.r.t. attributes.

My reasoning in designing it this way was maximum safety, everything is
encapsulated, but perhaps it's not so clever?  In particular maybe there
will be "real world" issues with parser support for namespaced
attributes?

I'd welcome feedback from this group about this or indeed any other
aspect of the spec.

Best regards,

Matt
----