   Re: [xml-dev] InfoPath, OpenOffice, XForms (Was: Low-end Office 1 1 won'

> I agree that even the home office tools should be XML-capable.
>
> The question is what XML capabilities should be there.  It makes
> some sense to me not to sell Mom and Pop software that they will
> not use nor can they make good sense of.  It makes sense that many
> users can make use of XML tools that cannot afford expensive
> enterprise licenses.
>
> So after everyone gets their licks in on MS, perhaps with some
> more information, we can make some sensible suggestions about
> which of these capabilities belong in the upper-tier products
> and which should come with Office for any user.
>
> Open Office with everything including the kitchen sink tossed
> in will be problematic in its own right.  A home user doesn't
> fiddle with install files, doesn't know a jar file from Adam
> Sandler, and will not tolerate excess baggage on the disk drive
> if it takes up room reserved for wedding photos.  We really do
> have At Least, two tiers here, based on what they have skills
> for and what they expect to do.  Yes, the skills of home users
> are often underestimated. Still, I just don't see Auntie Mame
> grinding out XML Schemas for exporting her Excel to Turbo Tax.

Auntie Mame is probably neither a Visual Basic programmer, nor very handy with
the Excel formula language.  And she probably doesn't pass her latest
Osama bin Ladin joke around with her friends using "show changes".

Considering that MS has always loaded down their software with tons
of features that Auntie Mame would never be able to use, I find your
central premise rather hollow.

Gems From the [Python/XML] Archives - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/04/09/py-xm
l.html
Introducing N-Triples - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-thi