   Re: [xml-dev] What should be open/free? (Was: Low-end Office 11 w on't d

> No, not Microsoft.  I wouldn't imagine for a minute that they would try to
> act in a high-handed, greedy way.
>
> > If so, Chicken Little syndrome is a lot worse around here
> > than I'd thought.
>
> You're right; I just plum forgot about the rational, altruistic tendencies
> of monopolists.  Pity me.
>
> Anyway, as long as we have the government to protect our common economic
> interests, we'll all be okay.

Don't be so broad with what "we" and "our" common economic interests might be.
Some of us don't support the same views and would rather not be lumped together.

> Thanks for talking me down from the edge of complete and utter cynicism.

Consider another angle, having seen the 'community' acting is such an offensive
manner, how likely is the vendor to bother making such efforts again.

The statement, never ascribe to malice that which can be equally explain by
ignorance, seems apt.  How many times have the vendors, out of *ignorance* made
decisions that the naysayers attribute to heinous and evil plans?  Pretty damned
often I'd say, but that's just from my 23 years of watching them flail about.

Isn't there some saying about keep your friends close, but your enemies closer?
How far do you think pushing away the vendors will help advance things?

-Bill Kearney