   RE: [xml-dev] What should be open/free? (Was: Low-end Office 11 w on't d

> Don't be so broad with what "we" and "our" common economic
> interests might be.
>
> Some of us don't support the same views and would rather not
> be lumped together.

I couldn't very well be sarcastic if I harped on about divergent economic
interests,  could I?

> > Thanks for talking me down from the edge of complete and
> utter cynicism.
>
> Consider another angle, having seen the 'community' acting is
> such an offensive
> manner, how likely is the vendor to bother making such efforts again.

I'm sorry, but what's offensive?  The fact that the 'community' has some
members who are thankless slobs? Who don't just take what they're given
quietly and without question?

> The statement, never ascribe to malice that which can be
> equally explain by
> ignorance, seems apt.  How many times have the vendors, out
> of *ignorance* made
> decisions that the naysayers attribute to heinous and evil
> plans?

In most cases, corporations as well as individuals will be motivated by
their own self interests.  When there is willful lack of consideration of
the impact consequent actions will have on the long-term interests of the
community at large, then such actions may be deemed malicious or careless.
It really doesn't matter which: the impact is the same; it's just that
careless actions are often forgivable while malicious ones require
redemption.

If you're going to sit at the top of the heap, you're an easy target for
potshots.  Fair or not.

> Pretty damned
> often I'd say, but that's just from my 23 years of watching
> them flail about.

As I asked someone offlist: "When was the last time a moderate led a
revolution?"

You can't effect change without passion; passion is not always logical.  One
should always take a moment to question one's loyalty to an idea or leader
before charging forth... that's true even if you're in the military.  "I was
just following orders" does not absolve you of guilt in a war crimes trial.

> Isn't there some saying about keep your friends close, but
> your enemies closer?

Oh yeah. But I've never been a good politician.  I wear my feeling like a
hair shirt.

> How far do you think pushing away the vendors will help
> advance things?

Microsoft get's plenty of credit in all the rah-rah industry rags.  If those
were more circumspect, we wouldn't have to compensate.

Stay cool, dude. We've all got our tickets and it's a dark ride.