   Re: [xml-dev] XML+CSS, DENG (was: Re: [xml-dev] InfoPath, OpenOffice, XF

>> What I see in the field doesn't come close to matching what web
>> designers think their audience has installed.  I suspect there's a
>> huge self-selection effect operating here, where large parts of the
>> reading public simply avoid sides that use Flash.
>
> I am in that camp.  I avoid sites that use flash.

If you're intelligent enough to decide to not used sites with
Flash, you're intelligent enough to use Mozilla and/or Opera
instead of IE.

Opera and Mozilla handle XML+CSS natively, only WinIE doesn't.

Delivering XML+CSS natively to Opera or Mozilla (on all platforms) and
to WinIE+Flash thru DENG, only leaves the WinIE-NoFlash-NoMozilla-NoOpera
people out in the dark. - folks that just use IE and nothing else,
neither Flash nor an alternative browser, which is definitely a smaller
group than if WinIE+Flash was not capable of directly styling
XML with CSS, which reduces the need for server-side
XML to (X)HTML transformation, e.g. via XSLT.

More people can reach this generic XML+CSS functionality thru
DENG if Flash is installed in IE, not everyone thru Flash/DENG
of course, but I'm saying that those who are not reached because they
decided to not install Flash use Mozilla or Opera anyways since
they've "understood the problem", if you understand that Flash is bad,
you also understand that Mozilla and/or Opera is better than IE. Such
power-users can be reached with native rendering in Mozilla
or Opera, since DENG, Mozilla and Opera follow the exact same W3C
standards, read the same content as-is.

Doug and Elliotte, don't you have Mozilla and/or Opera available next
to IE on your machines?

- Sebastian