   Re: [xml-dev] Syntax vs semantics

grimlinda@earthlink.net (Linda Grimaldi) writes:
>Once again, I am confused.  I like the nice, clean distinction offered
>by another list member- XSD for syntax, RDF and its related standards
>for semantics.  But then there are things like element substitution
>and, effectively, subclassing, in XSD that strike me as much too
>closely resembling semantics.  Seems to me those kind of things should
>be handled via RDFS/OWL, not XSD.

That makes lots of sense to me.

I think XML's general-purpose nature has frequently been interpreted as
a mandate to treat its structures as objects/RDBMS/whatever. Over time,
object and other semantics wandered into what seemed originally to be a
set of tools for describing markup vocabularies and constraining their
use in documents.

It strikes me as a horrible mess, but I keep hearing people say they
like it, or think they do, or think we're just stuck with it.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!