   Re: [xml-dev] Re: XML Search Engines

In a message dated 19/04/2003 15:23:13 GMT Daylight Time, simonstl@simonstl.com writes:

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com writes:
>Doing it in single limited-scope problem domains may be reasonably
>easy, but finding a general solution seems fairly daunting. At least
>to me.
>
>I appreciate that we are a long way from, for example, having data
>routinely stored in a semantically-meaningful (is that a meaningful
>term?) way but shouldn't we be exploring ways to move towards that?

No. I:

* don't believe a truly general semantic solution is possible;

* would consider a general solution to be a straitjacket;

* have little patience for entrepreneurs who hope to make a lot of money
with "controlled knowledge" of any sort;

* and have little patience for visionaries who think computers should
answer all our questions.

So no, I don't think aiming for a general solution is a good idea.  The
spin-offs may of course be interesting, but as targets go, there are
lots more with immediate rewards, far lower costs, and less pretension.

Simon,

Is the conclusion from what you say that you view XML-based search engines as a fantasy? And an undesirable fantasy at that?

To put my question another way, how do you see it as being practical or desirable to make progress from the current state of the art of Web search strategies? Does XML have a role in your view?

Andrew Watt