   Re: [xml-dev] What is XML's appropriate place in an office suite?

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com writes:

> It seems to me that all software, whether "free" open source or
> money-up-front proprietary software has costs. Hopefully it also, if
> appropriately chosen, has benefits, however those may be appropriately
> measured in a particular situation. Costs may be measured in time, hard cash,
> delay etc etc.

First of all, you are missing a comma between "free" and "open
source". They are two different things. Also, neither "free" nor "open
source" says anything about monetary cost, only the freedom of
distribution and modification. The only time I made money selling
software was writing open source.

> XML has direct value to us XML geeks (it helps, directly or indirectly to put
> food on our table), it has indirect value to enterprises (bought at the price
> of paying for proprietary software or buying the skills to use open-source).

From http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/magic-cauldron:

"When I speak at technical conferences, I usually begin my talk by
asking two questions: how many in the audience are paid to write
software, and for how many do their salaries depend on the sale value
of software. I generally get a forest of hands for the first question,
few or none for the second, and considerable audience surprise at the
proportion."

> please focus on the substance. Name
> dropping, I would politely suggest, is inadequate.

Amen.

Ari.