   Re: Re: [xml-dev] What is the data here?

Dear Andrew,

I must apologize- one of my many weaknesses is an inability to resist a good one-liner.

I also must admit that I have trouble taking your argument seriously.  Does the file system vendor also have rights?  What about a format that is specified by a standards body?  Does that body then enjoy "joint ownership" of my data?  While the data is in transit, is it "owned" by the vendor of my TCP/IP stack?
Does Oracle "own" my relational data if I use its database to store it?  I can easily envision an environment where at least 3 or 4 different vendors can lay claim to "joint ownership", from the OS vendor, to the DB vendor, to a standards body, to whomever else has any influence over how the data is stored.  "Format" has lots of meanings at different levels.  None of them entitle any vendor to any ownership of my data in any way, shape or form.

Let's keep the distinction between licensing tools and owning data, please.

Linda

Original message attached.