   RE: [xml-dev] Joint ownership of the data-dataContainer combination

> > Over to those who care to attempt to disprove my, fairly informal,
> > thesis that Microsoft has joint ownership of a Microsoft Word file, as
> > a consequence of their ownership of the file format which forms part
> > of such a file.
>
> Could you go talk to a lawyer, instead, and drop this absurdity?

<copyrightMe2003>
Perhaps the legal interpretation is only one of many possibly contradictory
interpretations.
</copyrightMe2003>

The real question is how it affects practice - I don't think it does really,
unless you wish to use MS formats in your own apps, then you're in a
quagmire. Probably more for technical than legal reasons: check out Apache
POI ("Poor Obfuscation Implementation"):
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/

Cheers,
Danny.

ps. Andrew - was this in lieu of a limerick?

----

http://dannyayers.com