   RE: [xml-dev] Joint ownership of the data-dataContainer combination

> Could you go talk to a lawyer, instead, and drop this absurdity?

The first thing a lawyer will tell you is that information cannot be
owned - it is not property. You can own the medium on which the
information is recorded, and you can own rights to do specified things
with the information (or to prevent others doing so), but you cannot own
the information.

I do not believe that Microsoft owns any rights to do anything with a
Word document that I create on my machine. It is possible, if I read the
small print on my Microsoft software license, that my rights to do
anything I like with that document are not absolute - but I doubt it;
and even if true, it's not the same thing as saying Microsoft owns any
rights over it.

Michael Kay