   Data streams and schema use and identification

If a data stream is supposed to be validated with a schema or processed
against one, is there anything REQUIRED to be in that stream that would
identify it with schema processing?

I know that some tools will allow you to take a well-formed data stream and
via some outside mechanism identify that it should be validated with a DTD
or Schema without reference (or maybe counter) to anything in the data stream.

I believe that a DTD world requires a DOCTYPE identification (preferably
with a SYSTEM and even better a PUBLIC identifier) and that a schema world
requires one or more of the xsi attributes to make the connection to the
schema to be compatible with the specifications.

What tools do to work around issues of schema and DTD management/location
(catalogs or feeding a value in some other manner) should not necessarily
be considered standard or at least good practice.

comments?

..dan
Danny Vint
http://www.dvint.com