   Re: [xml-dev] Data streams and schema use and identification

From: "Dan Vint" <dvint@mindspring.com>

@schemaLocation is not a declaration of conformance.

> Thanks for the pointer, but the FPI was just an example. I can live with
> unique URLS of any form, but I need them to be required to indicate schema
> processing.

Add a PI <?RequiresValidation?>

> > > But how many people are working with more than one schema?

Quite a few people are working with WXS + Schematron.  And I know
people who write schemas using DTDs and then translate them to WXS.

> >For me it's routine to use different schemata at different stages of
> >processing.
>
> Ok, I hadn't really considered this situation or mapped it to what we
> actually do. We have the W3C schema and the DTD and in the future we might
> support others. So can we start some sort of XML Catalog like approach to
> managing DTDs and schemas of all forms and specification?

RDDL allows cataloging the resources for document. However, it falls into
the namespace-driven trap (the idea where you find an element, take its
namespace URL, find a RDDL document or schema from that) so it is
probably infeasible for jobs involving multiple namespaces, document variants,
evolving schemas, and schemas for different stages.

XAR [1] allows you to bundle schemas and stylesheets together into a ZIP file,
so that all these resources are under control.  Schematron has a phase
mechanism to allow different patterns to be validated at different times.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe

[1] http://www.topologi.com/products/validator/dzip.html