   GenCode

[Sorry for the historical questions, but it's Sunday morning and maybe
these will bear more fruit than semantic visions.]

I was looking the other day for information about GenCode, but most of
what I can find describes it as a predecessor to SGML that got folded
into the main SGML effort.

While I'm aware of that contribution, I'm curious what GenCode itself
was trying to accomplish.  My rapidly-fading memory suggests that a
single tag set was a key (though not accomplished) goal, and someone was
even speaking of "the shadow of GenCode", though I'm no longer sure in
what context.

I did find this slide on "Conclusions of the GenCode Committee":

http://www.renater.fr/Video/2002ATHENS/P/DC/History/slide11.htm

It seems to concur with my own thoughts about markup, but that may be
the result of my absorbing here for a long time.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!