   Re: [xml-dev] Roger Costello: My Version of "Why use OWL?"

Hello Walter,

As always, it is a great pleasure to hear from you.

I am not sure that I completely understand your points, so if I may, I
would like to lay out in greater detail the notion that I was trying to
make in my document.  That way we can concretely examine where we may
agree or disagree.

The scenario that I took in my paper was this:  Suppose that an
application is looking for Camera information, and it encounters this
XML document:

   <SLR> ... </SLR>

Let us consider the steps the application takes to process the XML
document:

(1) Parse the XML document (this is a syntax issue).

(2) Determine the relationship between "SLR" and "Camera" (this is a
semantic issue).  Somewhere the following relationship must be made
known:

(2.1) "SLR" is a type of "Camera".

Once this information is made know to the application it can do
the next (action) step:

(3) If the XML document contains Camera info then do ...
    Else do ...

The point that I was trying to make in my paper was:

   Should the semantic definition (2.1) be:
        (a) hardcoded and buried within each application,
   or, should it be:
        (b) declaratively stated in a separate document,
          using a standard, well-defined vocabulary (i.e., OWL).

I argued for the later, (b).

(I realize that I have not "objectively" stated the alternatives, for
which I apologize.  However, that is how I truly see the alternatives.)

Walter, what are your thoughts?  /Roger