   Re: [xml-dev] XML 1.1 grinds to halt?

From: "Mike Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>

> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Apr/0123.html
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble deconstructing this ... anyone want to explain
> the nuances? I have mixed feelings about XML 1.1, but having XML wait on
> the TAG which is waiting on the IETF ... which is waiting on ???? ...
> reminds me of a few doomed projects I've seen in my time!

Layers = bureaucracy?

Time is on XML 1.1's side:  even Java is only just reaching Unicode 3.2
just as Unicode 4 is released. So we shouldn't impose a great urgency,
or take instant success as a measure.

IETF has had a problem coming to grips with non-ASCII characters in
protocols.  Internationalized domain names are at least five years too late.
Ultimately, IETF has to go UTF-8 throughout IMHO.

I don't know why they just don't adopt XML Schemas/XPointer/Charmod
anyURI to break the impasse for now, but with a warning that comparisons
may cause trouble, and a statement that  when IRIs have their RFC, that
RFC will supercede anyURI.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe