   Re: [xml-dev] XML 1.1 grinds to halt?

Tim Bray scripsit:

> Really?  I just looked at a recent set of Java docs, and it's pretty
> clear that a Java char isn't really a character, it's a UTF-16
> codepoint, and the semantics of String are wrong for non-BMP characters,
> and that the attempt at UTF-8 support remains pretty laughably
> nonstandard and wrong.  I'd be *delighted* to hear that I'm looking at
> wrong/obsolete docs.  Pointers anyone? -Tim

It's true that Java chars are UTF-16 codepoints; changing that would be
nothing less than revolutionary.  I don't understand what's wrong with
the semantics of String, unless you mean that it's indexed by UTF-16
codepoints, which *is* what you are going to have 99% of the time.
ICU/J provides correct-but-less-efficient indexing for when you need it.

As for UTF-8, that's a canard.  The methods DataOutputStream.writeUTF and
DataInputStream.readUTF have nothing to do with UTF-8 text transport:
they are *binary* methods that write and read a 16-bit byte length
followed by modified UTF-8 (no 0x00 bytes).  You use those only if you
are doing roll-your-own binary serialization.  The actual UTF-8 support
is in InputStreamReader and OutputStreamWriter and is entirely compliant.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
Micropayment advocates mistakenly believe that efficient allocation of