   Re: [xml-dev] Just say 'mu' to namespace URIs (was Re: [xml-dev] XML 1.1

Mike Champion <mc@xegesis.org> wrote:

| Bray: I remain convinced that URNs are almost always a bad idea for XML
| namespaces.
|
| TimBL: because either they're not resolvable or you're reinventing HTTP.
|
| TimBL's right, of course,

I don't see how.  Why must a resolution mechanism (never mind why and for
what) necessarily be something HTTP-like?  Or is this a philosophical
statement that any lookup involving a network connection either uses or
reinvents gopher^WHTTP?

| but: a) there's still no consensus on what dereferencing a namespace URI
| should produce;

I'm now hopelessly lost in the twists and turns of URI metaphysics.  Why
is a URI necessarily "dereferenceable"?

| c) the 'unenlightened' but influential folks in Redmond WA and Washington
| DC are voting with their feet for URNs and this debate is likely to become
| moot Real Soon Now;

King Canute has always been a role model at the W3C.