   RE: [xml-dev] rfc 1738

> > 1994 I guess UNC's didn't cause much of a problem.
> >
> > Trying to work out how a UNC might fit into XSLT, the document()
> > function, which requires a uri.
> >
> > Tried various combinations, and (possibly because of the
> java sandbox)
> > I can't retrieve a document from, for instance
> > document('file://\\machine\\path\file.xml')
> >    or the various combinations thereof.
> >
> > Anyone know how this might be written please?

The RFCs on URI syntax are notoriously woolly, but the new java.net.URI
class in JDK 1.4 makes a serious attempt to implement them correctly.
And it decides that the file

\\machine\share\dir\file.xml

is addressible using the URI

file:////machine/share/dir/file.xml

The older java.net.URL class does not appear to support this mapping.

Michael Kay