   ANN: OWL-Genie ... an XSLT template library for OWL

OWL GENIE - WHAT IS IT?

OWL Genie is a package of XSLT named-templates.

OWL GENIE - WHAT IS ITS PURPOSE?

The purpose of the package of named-templates is to provide a
convenient way for XSLT applications to retrieve information from OWL
Ontologies.

OWL GENIE - WHAT DOES IT CONTAIN?

Here are the named-templates that are currently implemented:

1. Get a list of superclasses.

    getSuperClasses(classURI)
       returns a list of space-separated property URIs.

2. Get a list of properties of a Class.

    getProperties(classURI)
       returns a list of space-separated property URIs (including
       inherited properties).

3. Get equivalent properties.

   getEquivalentProperties(propertyURI)
      returns a list of space-separated property URIs.

Although small is number, lot's can be done with these templates.  I
will be expanding this list of capabilities over the next couple of
months (hopefully, with your input - see below).

OWL GENIE - SHOW ME A DEMO

Using the above templates I created an XSLT application which reads an
XML instance and decides if it meets this desire:

   "I am interested in purchasing a camera with a
    75-300mm zoom lens size, that has an aperture
    of 4.5-5.6, and a shutter speed that ranges
    from 1/500 sec. to 1.0 sec."

As it parses the XML instance document it "consults" the OWL Camera
Ontology[1] (using the templates above) whenever it encounters an
element that it is unfamiliar with.

The demo must be viewed using Internet Explorer.

Here is the first demo:

   http://www.xfront.com/owl-genie/Hunts.xml

Here is the second demo:

    http://www.xfront.com/owl-genie/Query1.xml

To view the XML, select Source under the View menu.

What these demos show is the XSLT application analyzing each XML
instance to determine if it meets the desire shown above.  It
accomplishes this by consulting the OWL Camera Ontology.  It consults
the Camera Ontology by using the named templates shown above.

If you would like to see the OWL Genie templates, here is the URL:

    http://www.xfront.com/owl-genie/OWL-Genie.xsl

OWL GENIE - HOW TO USE IT IN YOUR STYLESHEETS

Simply add this line to the top of your stylesheet:

<xsl:include href="http://www.xfront.com/owl-genie/OWL-Genie.xsl"/>

This gives your stylesheet complete access to the three named-templates
shown above.

I NEED YOUR INPUT!

The above 3 templates is just the beginning of a library of XSLT
templates for accessing OWL Ontologies.  I need your input.  There are
two ways that you can provide input:

1. Give me ideas of templates that would be useful to have.  Tell me
the inputs and outputs.

2. As ideas come in for new templates, I will need help implementing
the templates.  If you like coding XSLT then I think that you will enjoy
this (I have had a blast implementing the above templates!)

COMMENTS?

As always, your suggestions and comments are most welcome.  /Roger

[1] http://www.xfront.com/owl-genie/camera.owl