   RE: [xml-dev] Ten new XQuery, XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Working

> well you know it gets sort of difficult to
> continue commenting on the stuff you find
> distasteful when these things keep getting
> left in from draft to draft. Now if it was
> just me then I would be apt to second-guess
> myself and say the people on the WGs must
> know better, but that's not the
> case.

I think you can be fairly certain that the comment "I don't need this
stuff about types" is going to get the response "(a) we know lots of
other people who do, and (b) you don't need to use it". And you can be
fairly certain that the comment "I don't like XML Schema" is going to
get the response "We don't think it's perfect either, but if you are
suggesting that W3C's data description language and query language
should be incompatible with each other, forget it."

We can all invent alternative futures that we would prefer, but this is
the practical reality.

There are plenty of areas in these specs that would really benefit from
detailed review and feedback, but saying "I think I could design a
better language" is not helpful at this stage.

Michael Kay