   Re: [xml-dev] Ten new XQuery, XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Working

In a message dated 08/05/2003 01:31:51 GMT Daylight Time, mc@xegesis.org writes:

Right.  But how about "I don't want to have to deal with all 40-odd XSDL
types in my implementation, please change the Basic conformance level"?
That seems to this outsider like a constructive suggestion, especially
given the widespread, uhh, shall we say "lack of enthusiasm" for the XSDL
type system (that Amy so brilliantly expounds upon).

Mike,

Michael Kay has indicated on the official public-qt-comments list that this is already possible. At least that's how I read his comment.

I am in process of a discussion with him on public-qt-comments re how well that is communicated in the specs. I don't think it is particularly clear in the drafts and you don't seem to have picked it up either. ... Of course, maybe we are both dumb. :)

I think it is a common situation that arises in communicating complex ideas. What is "clear" to the writer may still be "opaque" to the reader.

And I am "encouraging" the WG to produce a Primer (analagous to the one for XSD Schema). At the moment I get the impression that I am not pushing at an open door.

Also, [definitely not wearing my Day Job hat, Dr. Kay gets paid to think
about XPath/Xquery for our employer!] "alternative futures that we would
prefer" is EXACTLY the question that the W3C Powers that Be are supposed to
wrestle with before issuing a Recommendation, and they need input from the
community as to whether a draft spec fits their needs or not.

"need" and "want" may not be synonymous, of course.

The Powers
that Be don't pay attention to comments that a WG didn't have a chance to consider.  So, bottom line, for better or worse, if one wants TimBL and the TAG to listen to a fundamental criticism about a spec, "unconstructive"
though it may be, one must annoy the WG on their comments list and be
prepared for a "we considered and rejected your suggestion" response, and
then refuse to accept the "resolution" so that the issue must be tracked
all the way to the Director so that he can review it before approving the
Proposed Recommendation.

For my education, is that why at the end of many/all official responses to comments there is a rhetorical question to the effect, "Is that ok with you?". Which I typically don't respond to.

So, if I write back and say "No, you need to do better" (or words to that effect, with supporting justification) ... I am referring to the general case here not specifically XSLT / XPath / XQuery ... then a button is pressed to start a review process, either in the WG or higher up. Is that correct?

I guess it makes sense to flag "unresolved issues" and consider those before PR / REC status. It gives W3C some measure of reassurance that a daft idea isn't being pushed through by a bunch of folks with a common vested interest (which, in one sense at least, is what a W3C WG is).

  [Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the

process here, and it may be only W3C members that get to "lie down in the
road" like this.]

<grin/> ... Maybe not for much longer. :)

In practice, I suspect that a W3C member would have a significantly louder voice.

Andrew Watt