   New subset in latest SOAP draft

The recently posted proposed recommendation of SOAP Version 1.2
Messaging Framework
<http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/#soapinterminfoset> further
restricts the legal content of SOAP messages that what is generally
known:

Comment information items MAY appear as children and/or descendants
of the [document element] element information item but not before or
after that element information item.

In other words, SOAP messages cannot contain comments in either the
prolog or epilog of a document. This was inferrable from the previous
December 2002 working draft, but was stated in much less obvious
language.

If I had to guess, I'd say this is an attempt to allow multiple SOAP
messages to be stuffed into a single file or stream with clear
boundaries between them. Whether that's a good idea or not, I don't
think such a major change should be tossed out without further
analysis and debate. This could introduce problems for various tools
such as editors that like to stick a "credit" comment in the prolog
of a document. This spec should go back to last call WD.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu