   Re: [xml-dev] Ten new XQuery, XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Working

At 8:34 AM -0400 5/8/03, AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:

I would be interested to hear more detail of what, specifically, you
think has gone wrong with XQuery / XSLT 2.0 / XPath 2.0.

Why repeat it? I and others much more eloquent than me have shouted
about this time and time again. It's obvious the working group is
committed to going in the direction they're going, and is deaf to
comments that challenge their fundamental assumptions, so the rest of
us will have to blaze our own trails and compete rather than
cooperate. May the best language win.

The phrase "given up in disgust" doesn't really convey much detail of
what the stumbling blocks are perceived to be and what solutions
might be appropriate (and what solutions might be possible).

Which XSLT 1.0 implementers have actually given up?

I recall Daniel Veillard mentioning that libxml won't be moving to
XSLT 2 any time soon. Jaxen is also staying with XPath 1.0. JDOM and
XOM are likely to remain XPath 1.0 only.

As far as I know only Saxon and Xalan have committed to XSLT 2.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu