   Re: [xml-dev] Is XML Doomed ...? (Was: Polemicism)

Dave Pawson wrote:
> I think the date addition is the one item I would support.
> Whether it needs to be a type I doubt, though obtaining
> formatting and date arithmetic are requested additions.

I meant, there ought to exist an independent, complete spec for
date types and the associated algebra as well as for regexps,
localized processing and a few other things, so that XSD/XPath
could include it by reference without an extended customization
and clarification layer. Imagine thre were a generally accepted
regexp spec so you could just say "... is a regexp according
to spec NNN, conformance level LL, character set as specified
in section X.Y" But no, there are half a zillion regexp specs
out there each with its own deficiencies and political baggage.
Similar for dates, it shouldn't have been necessary to define
a complete algebra for XPath.

J.Pietschmann