   Re: [xml-dev] Is XML Doomed ...? (Was: Polemicism)

At 13:21 10/05/2003 +0200, J.Pietschmann wrote:
>Dave Pawson wrote:
>>I think the date addition is the one item I would support.
>>Whether it needs to be a type I doubt, though obtaining
>>formatting and date arithmetic are requested additions.
>
>I meant, there ought to exist an independent, complete spec for
>date types and the associated algebra as well as for regexps,
>localized processing and a few other things, so that XSD/XPath
>could include it by reference without an extended customization
>and clarification layer.

The W3C references an ISO date format, but no 'arithmetic' to go with it,
which is certainly needed I guess. Either way, I doubt the multiplicity
of options in the
http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/#durations-dates-times
list is really needed. It appears as bloat IMO.

regards DaveP