   Re: [xml-dev] Some random noise on rational type systems for XML

> John Cowan wrote:
> > Amelia A. Lewis scripsit:
> > > First principle: the XML ur-type is "string".  Everything in XML can be
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > represented as a string (MUST be representable as a string).  It can
> > > therefore be manipulated as a string--truncated, concatenated,
> > > case-transformed, etc.
> >
> > No, I have to disagree here.  Every datatype instance can be *represented*
> > by a string, right enough.  That does not mean the instance of that type
> > *is* a string.
>
> But the _XML_ ur-type is string.  From the application
> point of view, you might have dates, integers, IEEE double
> precision floating point numbers, et cetera, but as far
> as XML is concerned everything is a string.
>
> If we're talking about a rational type system _for XML_,
> then Amelia's first principle is eminently sensible.  In fact,
> I'd go even further and say it's the _only_ sensible foundation
> for an XML type system.

Yes, and I'd like to point out that this is the foundation that we have
already staked out as the right approach to datatyping in XPath NG.  See
earlier threads between Jeni, Eric and I on this list.  I also think that it
is an approach that would fit nicely into DSDL, and I think Eric's XVIF
provides an excellent test-bed for such ideas (which is why I was very
grateful to do some 4-eyes-on-the-screen time with Eric looking over his
implementation last week).

I do believe we'll get there.  Slowly, maybe, but we'll get there.

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/04/30/dsdl.html
http://downloads.xmlschemata.org/python/xvif/

Gems From the [Python/XML] Archives - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/04/09/py-xm
l.html