   Yo' mama's non-technical aguments

As it always does, I see that the defensiveness of certain folks here who are
heavily invested in W3C has led them to substitute sophisticated forms of
name-calling for reasoned argument.

The favorite aproach seems to be to say

"Your arguments do not sound technical to me, so they are invalid"

This facile tactic has been expressed in several different ways.  It seems
that "is not technical" is, in this gambit, a snide synonym for "is not
something I can agree with".

I shall try not to respond to such silliness anymore, becuase I recognize the
game, and I have other ways to play my hand.

But I will point out that I have seen numerous technical arguments given
against WXS, XQuery and the like here, despite the IMO disingenuos
protestations of some (not all) in the WXS/XQuery camp, and the fact that many
of them insist on this pretense is just more encouragement to me that I should
not get involved in their process at all, and that I should encourage others
not to waste time on their process.   Why should anyone spend time reading
broken W3C specs and responding to the official lists, when some WG members
(not all) seem so clearly bent on cynical response to straightforward
criticism?  What makes anone think that the WGs will not just dismiss anything
they disagree with with a flippant "I see no technical content in that
comment"?  Soem say "the W3C won't let them".  I am skeptical of this claim,
and though I admit that I may be wrong in that skepticism, experience on this
list does not suggest to me that I should make the effort to find out.

For my part, if we're going to play the playground dozens, I'd prefer we
didn't go about pretending we were engaged in genteel debate.

Is XQuery an omni-tool? - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=7620
Gems From the [Python/XML] Archives - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/04/09/py-xm
l.html
Introducing N-Triples - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-thi