   Re: [xml-dev] Ten new XQuery, XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 Working

Uche Ogbuji writes:

 > > Standards should be based on existing practice; failing that,
 > > there should be ample opportunity for designs to compete.
 >
 > Absolutely.  This is, and always has been the crux of the problem
 > with XQuery and company.  Yes, in XML we've become used to
 > "standardization" committees that are really research teams, and
 > this is not always bad.  We've had some good stuff such as XPath
 > 1.0 emerge, and it actually worked out in the marketplace.

I think that it's wonderful that we have the W3C as a large, funded
industry consortium committed to royalty-free R&D, and it's wonderful
that we have the W3C as a large, funded industry consortium committed
to royalty-free standards.

The only unfortunate part is the tendency to mix the two roles -- an
R&D organization is similar to an accountant while a standards body is
similar to an auditor, and we've all seen what happens when people get
to audit themselves.

All the best,

David

--